Friday, February 08, 2008

bowl


bowl
Originally uploaded by valcox

Each time I do the family grocery shopping I look for something special for myself. Visions of lovely still lives, I take 10 minutes in the produce department choosing just the right specimen, shape, color. It's all very fun until I get to the checkout.

That's when I learn no checker remembers the code because no one in this large market has ever come across the items I select. Then they ask me what they are. I don't want to admit that I bought them for the texture. 'Tamillo?' There are many ways to pronouce this when you live in Pennsylvania. I try several pronounciations myself and get blank stares.

The implied value goes up, but I'm not leaving without them. I offer to check the price, no they don't want me to leave the line. I'll pay anything, so I make up a number. 'I think they are $2.99 a lb'. Good enough.

4 comments:

Linda Carol said...

I know how you feel! Only 1 out of the last 3 checkers at my grocery store recognized my jicama...

Courtney Graham Hipp said...

The checker at Bi-Lo last week had never heard of a shallot before. She said she was going to ask her mom if she'd ever heard of them...

Of course, this is the same store where they advertise Xerox copies for .15¢ I pointed out to them that they might want to fix that, unless they really were giving copies for more than six a penny. The idiot bag boy said "Yeah, but if they put a zero in front of the decimal point it would be right, right?"

Val Cox said...

Linda, you are a brave woman to take a jicama to the check out and not expect a wait, very funny!

Courtney, I love your xerox story, that is hilarious!

A shallot? I believe it! I got a similar reaction from a young checker over my carton of figs. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I feel like your soul sister now, I do the SAME thing.