Friday, December 28, 2007

a walk in the woods


walk in the woods
Originally uploaded by valcox
I'm probably the last American to finally read this gem of a book. I loved it so much, I started again at the beginning as soon as I finished yesterday. Fred took this week off work and I was constantly interrupting him from his own book, so I could read passages aloud. He always complied, listened and laughed at the right places, even when I knew he was at a good part in his own book.

(The camera captures everything in mirrored image, the book: Bill Bryson, "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering American on the Appalachian Trail")

3 comments:

ALF said...

I've never read that book - will have to put it on the long list of books I should read...

calumey said...

I LOVED this book. I picked it up a couple of years ago after a friend and I hiked a tiny slice of the Appalachian trail. I can't remember if it was in NJ or around Brewster, NY. We only did it those two times. He didn't ask me on those long hikes anymore. I guess my beet red face and frequent stops on the really steep points freaked him out :)

It definatele made me want to follow in Bill Bryson's footsteps and do the trail from beginning to end. The biggest turnoff for me: Sleepting in the trail shelters with little critters crawling around!

Kellan said...

Fred sounds like a good guy. Have fun reading it again and have a good weekend. Kellan